Freezers, Refrigerators, Conversion Kits, Cold Plates
"Make use of your engine's surplus power."
A conversion kit is used to convert an existing ice box or storage compartment into a refrigeration unit. We design our kits to conform to your running schedule, which means we make use of the surplus power available when your engines are running.
The type and size of the conversion kit needed to convert a desired space is dependent on several factors including:
- Desired temperature threshold
- Size definition of desired cooling space
- Power resource limitations
- Outside climate conditions
- Insulation requirements
- Budget and expectations of operator
By using either a conventional evaporator system or an advanced cold plate system (also called hold over plate system), we can convert most any space into a refrigeration or freezer unit. Unlike competitors who offer standard sized evaporators and cold plates, we custom bend our evaporators and make sure our cold plates are a custom fit.
The best and easiest way to configure the right conversion kit for you is to contact us. Together we can determine what it is you need to meet your expectations. We are also happy to provide a free heat-loss evaluation of your current refrigeration system.
There are three basic components in a refrigeration system: an evaporator, a compressor, and a condenser. The evaporator is mounted in the refrigerator or freezer compartment to absorb heat. As heat is removed from the refrigerated space the internal temperature drops. The compressor receives low-pressured gas from the evaporator then compresses it into a high-pressured gas before going to the condenser. The condenser cools the high-pressured gas, releasing the heat that was absorbed in the evaporator. It is important for efficiency to match the type and size of the compressor with the evaporator and condenser.
The evaporator is the internal heat exchanger of the system.
- Dura-Plate Evaporator: Convert your box into a custom cooling system with our tough Dura-Plate evaporators. Stronger and more efficient than standard aluminum evaporators.
- Freezer Box: Convert your single door top or front opening box into a refrigerator with a freezer section.
- Custom Bent Evaporator: Convert your single door top or front opening box into a refrigerator, freezer, or refrigerator with freezer section. U-Shape or L-Shape.
- Flat Plate Evaporator: Convert your single door top opening box into a refrigerator or freezer.
- Cold Plate: Convert your box into a high-efficiency system with long periods between cooling cycles (24 hours or more).
- Split Refrigerator / Freezer Spill Over: Convert any box into a refrigerator / freezer. An evaporator or cold plate is mounted in the freezer area. Cold air flows from the freezer into the refrigerator area through holes in a common divider.
Our compressors are available in AC, DC, or AC/DC models. For AC/DC systems, AC power is stepped down and converted to DC. If you leave your inverter/charger on at dockside you probably do not need AC/DC. DC compressors perform well when used with evaporator plates in any application and with refrigerator cold plates, but are not recommended for freezer cold plates. The chart below gives you a comparison of models and capacity.
The condenser is the external heat exchanger of a refrigeration system. Choice of a condenser will depend on where the compressor unit will be mounted.
- Air cooled (Standard): Installed in a well ventilated compartment, air cooled condensers have excellent performance.
- Air Cooled (High Efficiency): To improve efficiency this upgrade will give you 100% more condenser area and two variable speed fans that automatically adjust speed with ambient temperature change.
- Water Cooled Condensers: Installed in engine rooms or poorly ventilated areas.
- Combination Air and Water: Ideal for engine room locations. The water cooled condenser operates when engine room is hot, the air cooled condenser operates after the engine room cools down.
Would you like more information? Contact us!